This week I wanted to share a handkerchief craft that I found on CraftIdeas.com using vintage handkerchiefs to make stylish coasters. I always have a variety of coasters stacked on our end table ready to grab when my husband and I have house guests. I feel like putting down a coaster says "relax and stay awhile".....they also say "I don't want condensation rings on my table" :o)
Take an afternoon to make these super cute coasters for holiday and hostess gifts. You can even add a vintage button or charm to the corner of the handkerchief coasters to make them really unique.
If you need vintage handkerchiefs, see our vintage hanky bundles.
Here are the instructions by Rebekah Meier from CraftIdeas.com:
- A variety of vintage handkerchiefs
- National Nonwovens Wool Felt: Cream, colors of choice
- Buttons, assorted
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Iron and pressing surface
- The Warm Co. Steam-A-Seam2
- Pinking shears
- Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive
- 1. Cut 4-1/2” square from each hankie. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to apply Steam-A-Seam2 to wrong side of each hankie square. Remove backing from each square.
- 2. Place hankie wrong side down onto cream felt and use iron to fuse in place. Using pinking shears, carefully trim around each felt/hankie square.
- 3. Machine-sew zigzag stitch 1/8” from edge of hankie.
- 4. Adhere cream felt/hankie to another coordinating wool felt color. Use pinking shears to trim around edges, leaving 1/8” border.
- 5. Adhere buttons to coaster.
If you would like to see more handkerchief craft projects that I have curated, follow The Handkerchief Shop on Pinterest. See our Handkerchief Craft Ideas board here.